Today’s topics: Ecumenical Prayer Service for all Christian Martyrs
Summary of today’s show: When a photo of Cardinal Seán being assisted in remembering his baptism by a female Methodist minister took the Internet by storm, it brought to the forefront that we are in the annual Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, which began with that 50-year commemorative event in Sudbury and will end with an Ecumenical Prayer Service for all Christian Martyrs. Vito Nicastro of the office of ecumenical and interreligious affairs and Tibrine da Fonseca of the Sant’egidio Community join Scot Landry and Fr. Chip Hines to discuss the Sudbury event and the upcoming event at Mission Church, which will recall Christian martyrs of all Christian churches and ecclesial communities. The prayer, which was initiated by Pope John Paul II in Rome during the 90s, is meant to pray for peace in the world to end the persecutions of Christians that occur in great numbers today.
Listen to the show:
Today’s host(s): Scot Landry and Fr. Chip Hines
Today’s guest(s): Dr. Vito Nicastro of the Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs and Tibrine da Fonseca of the Sant’egidio Community
Links from today’s show:
- For those who wish to RSVP to the event next week at the Mission Church, please send an email to email@example.com. All are invited.
- Prayer for Christian Unity
- “‘Division openly contradicts the will of Christ,’ cardinal says at ecumenical service”, The Pilot, 1/17/14
- “Church anointing stokes Internet buzz”, The Boston Globe, 1/17/14
- Community of Sant’Egidio in Boston
Icon of the New Martyrs