Today’s topics: Peace Vigil in Brighton and Rome; Pope Francis writing letters to the editor, on the phone, and driving in the Vatican; New encyclical on poverty coming?
Summary of today’s show: Our panel of Scot Landry, Susan Abbott, and Gregory Tracy consider the news headlines of the week, including the vigils for peace held at St. John’s Seminary and in Rome; Pope Francis’ remarkable style that includes a letter to the editor of a major newspaper, calling people on the phone, and driving a car around the Vatican; reports of an upcoming encyclical on poverty; the Diocesan Financial Managers Conference held in Boston; a new gymnasium for the Teen Center at St. Peter’s in Roxbury; the Knights of Columbus’ pro-life Silver Rose touring parishes; and followup on the Day of Evangelization at an Attleboro parish.
Listen to the show:
Today’s host(s): Scot Landry and Susan Abbott
Today’s guest(s): Gregory Tracy, managing editor of the Pilot, the newspaper of the Archdiocese of Boston
Links from today’s show:
- The Anchor
- The Pilot
- Some of the stories discussed on this show will be available on The Pilot’s and The Anchor’s websites on Friday morning. Please check those sites for the latest links.
- Msgr. James Moroney’s homily at the Vigil for Peace at St. John’s Seminary
- “Praying for peace in Syria, pope calls selfishness the cause of war”, CNS, 9/9/13
- “Christians, Muslims join Pope Francis in praying for peace in Syria”, CNS, 9/9/13
- “Peace among Dragons”, Bishop James D. Conley, Catholic News Agency, 9/9/13
- “Vatican’s new top diplomat ready to ramp up network for peace”, CNS, 9/5/13
- “Pope, writing in secular newspaper, urges dialogue with nonbelievers”, CNS, 9/11/13
- “Make Sure to Answer the Phone, The Anchor, September 13, 2013”, Fr. Roger Landry
- “Italian pastor donates used car to Pope Francis”, CNA/EWTN News, 9/10/13
- “New encyclical to clarify poverty vows, cardinal says”, CNA/EWTN News, 9/5/13
- Day of Evangelization: Program #0551 for Wednesday, August 7, 2013